DiscoveringSevilla.com
Home   /   What to see   /   Hospital de la Caridad
Hospital de la Caridad de SevillaIglesia y Hospital de la Caridad

The Church of the Brotherhood of the Holy Charity, Church of the Lord called San Jorge, one is attached to the Hospital de la Santa Caridad, which was an institution promoted in the seventeenth century by the venerable Miguel de Manara. The Brotherhood is located in the district of Arenal de Sevilla.

The Brotherhood of the Holy Charity, founded in Seville in the middle of the fifteenth century and a dated rule in 1578, had among its duties transferred to the hospital to the destitute sick, attend spiritually and temporally inmates who were sentenced to death and gave them burial. Also lent aid when floods occurred in the Guadalquivir and collected the bodies found on its shores. Was housed in a chapel, dedicated to St. George, built in one of the Royal Shipyards

The Church

In 1644, on the ruin of the old chapel, the construction of a new church is decided according to plans by Pedro Sanchez Falconete. Miguel Manara asked to be a member of the Brotherhood in 1663 and, after learning of the sincerity of his request, he was appointed elder brother in 1664. He became the main driver of the project and speeded up the works of the temple. The planes of the Church were reformed by Mañara own initiative and the facade was finished off by Leonardo de Figueroa

The facade of the Church, representative work of Baroque Seville, is structured into three bodies in height and provides an outline of great constructive simplicity. The two upper sections are decorated with tiles depicting their employers San Jorge and Santiago and the three theological virtues, Faith, Hope and Charity. San Fernando, king of Castile and Saint Louis, King of France, reflecting the noble character who by then wielded the Brotherhood: Below, on both sides of the door sculptures dos Santos Reyes are contemplated. The façade is topped by an attic preceded by an iron railing and flanked by two pinnacles of brick.

The Interior

The interior of the church was programmed by Miguel de Manara own, and it involved such prestigious artists such as Murillo, Valdés Leal, Pedro Roldán and Bernardo Simon de Pineda who recorded the inspiration of Mañara about Christian charity.

At the foot of the temple find two of the masterpieces of Valdés Leal and containing a profound meditation on death and spiritual events that happen: "Finis gloriae mundi" and "In Ictu Oculi" Hospital of Charity of Seville in the choir, also Valdes Leal, is "The Triumph of the Holy Cross".

Hospital of Charity of Seville the above described work gave way to the six paintings by Murillo on mercy, four of which were stolen in 1810 during the War of Independence, the French Marshal Soult, who later exhibited proudly at his home in Paris. At his death, the paintings were sold by his heirs, found in museums worldwide, the National Gallery in London, the National Gallery of Ottawa, the National Gallery in Washington and the Hermitage in St. Petersburg. three These paintings were replaced at first by four landscapes with biblical scenes Miguel Luna, who broke the iconographic speech intended by Manara. Since 2008, they have placed reproductions of original paintings by Murillo they do retain the iconographic meaning of the whole church and Luna's paintings have been restored to the highest chapters room with four other landscapes of his hand dated 1674.

The altarpiece is one of the most important parts of the temple, design and construction were carried out between 1670 and 1675 by Bernardo Simon de Pineda, the sculptures are the work of Pedro Roldán and gilt and polychrome correspond to Valdés Leal . The altarpiece consists of a bank on the first Solomonic columns divided by body style rises. At its center is a bright large sculptural group representing the Entombment of Christ, is completed by a low relief that helps increase the sense of depth from the main group. The upper body of the altarpiece are represented allegorically Faith, Hope and Charity surrounded by children. Finally, on the sides of the altar are two figures of San Roque, as protector of epidemics and San Jorge as head of the temple

Hospital

Hospital of Charity of Seville In 1662 Seville aristocrat Miguel de Manara joined the Brotherhood of Santa Caridad city proposed the creation of a hospital to care for poor and homeless. The members of the brotherhood considered a minor stake in the project with the creation of a hospice where they could stay overnight tramps city. Hospice existed for eight years, after which the Brotherhood decided to expand it and make it a hospital.5

The Brotherhood previously built a church in one of the ships of the Royal medieval shipyards. To make the hospital project was asked the King in 1672 one of the ships of the Royal Shipyards that were adjacent to the church.5 Room by architect Francisco Ruiz de Escalona, who called Living Christ and had a crucifix was built, but in 1674 became too small given the need for places. Therefore, Miguel de Manara decided in 1675 to take a new ship and perform the same process as above. The two ships were built with columns made in the center of the room. The work lasted a year and were performed by the same architect. To dedicate a statue of the Virgin of Our Lady of the Rosary commissioned the painter Juan de Valdes Leal and who performed to 1677. In 1678 a third ship under the invocation of San Antonio was prepared and while building this was cheaper it took more to finish, and opened in 1682. this time was not made with the original columns and vaulted ceilings remained of the Atarazanas.5

In 1856 fourth hall will be built in the next ship by architect Francisco Cansino, repeating structure of San Antonio but dedicating it to San José.5 The September 19, 1862 Queen Elizabeth II, accompanied by the ministers and officers of his court, and the Dukes of Montpensieur visited the institutions of the Church and Hospital, a fact that is honored by a marble slab on a patio that faces the entrance to the Chamber of Christ.


curiosities

The Hospital and the Church of Charity of Seville has always been surrounded by an aura of mystery as the origin which initially had brotherhood, to assist the destitute and sick and bury them in public on the outskirts of the city graves. The major driver of the Brotherhood, the venerable Miguel de Manara, also has a biography in which some gloomy mysticism and dyes were protagoniostas of his life. It was in the wake of the untimely death of his wife, and after entering a dark and depressing period when boiling decides to join the Brotherhood of the Holy Charity. Later requests being elected Brother of the Brotherhood said, and not without some reluctance of the brothers, is finally chosen.

From then until his death devoted all his life and his efforts to boost activity Brotherhood charity, donating his entire fortune to it so that they were engaged in acts of charity. He founded the Hospital for the care of the destitute elderly, makes it compulsory to give dinner's brothers lso sick in the hospital, etc.

All his life, since then, devoted to helping more pobres.Y that philosophy of life is reflected in the tables instructs Valdés Leal and adorning the walls of the Church. Are paintings which reflect the lightness of life, emphasizing that everything earthly is corruptible, and is only eternal life after death.

MAPA

To view the positioning of Italica click on the map:

Purchase Tickets

In the following link you can book tickets for guided tour with professional guides at Charity Hospital of Seville


Back